Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bacon- Asparagus Roasted Red Pepper Strata


 I had originally made this for Thursday nights dinner for the family after failing to read the entire directions that it has to sit in the fridge for 2 - 24 hours. I am kinda glad I saved it for Friday because we ended up at Brenda and Kenny's( supposed to be gardening but somehow that didn't work out, LOL)



I adore her chickens. 

My beautiful daughter. 


I can't get over the look on Ryan's face!!

                               Brenda's son, Tim, with his twins. He certainly has his hands full!


                       Gail was the first one to comment on the aroma of the strata. Bless her heart.







  • 3 Quart baking dish. I used my 15 x 10 cast iron dish.
    10 slices bacon, cooked till crispy and crumbled 
    1 pound fresh asparagus, ends cut off and sliced into 2 inch pieces 
    2 roasted red peppers, sliced
    1 vidalia onion, sliced thin
    12 slices dry white bread, I cut up as loaf of Italian bread and toasted the cubes. 
    2 cups shredded Smoked Gruyere
    2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    10 eggs
    3 1/2 cups milk
    2 Teaspoons mustard , I used deli mustard
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    1/4- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Lightly grease pan with spray or oil. 
    Combine bacon, asparagus, peppers, and onion in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. 
    Place half of the bread cubes in bottom of baking dish. Top with half the veggie mixture and half the cheese. Repeat with the rest of the bread cubes, veggies and cheese. 
    Mix together the 10 eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and pour evenly as possible over the bread, cheese, veggie mixture. 
    Press down slightly. Cover and refrigerate 2-24 hours. 
    Preheat oven to 325. Bake approximately 1 hour or until puffy, lightly browned and set. 

    *Recipe inspired by BHG.com*

2 comments:

Alessandra said...

I can't imagine why you were worried in the first place! just reading the recipe makes me think: yummy!

Anonymous said...

I make a very plain version of this with leftover whateverIhave meat and veggies. I definitely want to try your version!

Recent Comments

Recent Posts