Monday, September 12, 2011

Lobster and Shrimp Stuffed Squash Blossoms

I know to some of you this may sound a little odd, but believe me, after reading all of the blogs on fried squash blossoms, it was way  up on my To-Do list.
  I wanted a filling that wouldn’t take away from the delicate flavor of the blossom, but yet would compliment them with a local New England flavor.
So i went with shrimp and lobster.  What a fabulous treat. I only wish there were more of the orange, feathery flowers in my garden at this time, but maybe the next round will be a whole new flavor experience. I will definitely keep with something light, but maybe with ricotta next time.


Tempura
I used about a quarter cup of water and enough flour to make a thin batter. The blossoms are very delicate and cannot tolerate a thicker batter. Add a touch of  extra virgin olive oil and salt and white pepper for flavor.
Oil for frying, i used about 1/2 inch in a thick based frying pan.
Filling
5 freshly picked squash blossoms
2 whole lobster claws
1/3 lb raw , shell on shrimp
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pick the stamen out of the center of the blossom as carefully as you can, they are bitter.  Fill each blossom with a mixture of chopped lobster, shrimp, olive oil, and salt.
Dip in tempura batter.
Fry in hot oil till lightly browned and crispy on the outsides.
I served over a few pieces of  fried kale from our garden.
Thanks so much for reading !

No comments:

Recent Comments

Recent Posts