Sunday, January 15, 2012

Caramelized Sausages and Apples with Pumpkin Angel Hair and Cider Sauce

I'd like to say this recipe was mine all  mine, but I can't. The lovely people over at MyDeliciousRecipe.com encouraged me to check out their site yesterday when I was having a bit of a "Food Block". You know what it is... all of us are guilty of it at one time or another. Eating the same thing and just tired of "chicken, pork, and beef". Not that there is anything wrong with those things...
Anyway as the description of this recipe they talk about it being a great dish for those cold and cozy nights, which is perfect for us in New Hampshire at the moment. It has been below zero and quite bitter for my taste!
Here are a few photos taken this past week.


See what I mean? Definately time for some warm comfort food!
The recipe for the sausages and apples is their basic RECIPE, which smells wonderful when roasting in the oven.
12 Italian sausage links ( we chose hot)
3 large Granny Smith apples peeled, cored , and quartered.
3 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced thin.
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons maple syrup ( I was out, *gasp* so I used Apricot syrup with superior results)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
Roast at 375 for about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile make sauce .. theirs calls for creme freche, reduced cider , and dijon mustard.
I changed it a bit by using


1 can  apple juice concentrate, simmered till reduced by half
2-3 Tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons basalmic vinegar
3 Tablespoons apricot sauce ( you can use whatever sweetener you used in the sausage mixture)
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce apple juice. Whisk in next 3 ingredients till smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and keep warm.

This can be served over mashed potatoes, or pasta.
I made my own pasta since I hadn't tested out my "gently used" pasta maker a friend gave to me.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~Pumpkin Angel Hair~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 4 1/2 cups of flour
 2 eggs
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup of  pumpkin puree
Mix all ingredients in pasta maker.Follow instructions.

  Finally, here is the finished dish. I now it is "beige", I didn't have much on hand for colorful garish... the flavor profile well than makes up for the color. The salty and possibly spicy sausage, crunch of apples and onion, the sweetness of the sauce, the texture of the noodles.

I know it was a long one but I hope you enjoyed and will give it a shot!
Thanks again to MyDeliciousRecipe.com for the inspiration!!

8 comments:

TaGa_Luto said...

Whoa!!! that pasta is unique and so pretty! It looks like Asian egg noodles.

I know what's going to be my birthday wish this year. You lucky!! lol!!! how many extruder does the machine have.

I'm bookmarking this dish i like the flavor profile ;)

Veronica said...

This is IMPRESSIVE! Sounds mega delish, too!

Tammy & Catherine said...

Mmmm looks so good, Kim!!! Definitely need this on a cold winter day! Comforting and delicious!

xoxo,
Tammy & Catherine

Pierre BOYER said...

Keep warm...
And "Bon Appétit" !
Best regards from Paris,

Pierre

My Italian Smörgåsbord said...

wow! home-made pasta! and what a sauce!!! really ambitious and perfectly executed. I just got a pasta device for my kitchen machine but knd of "scared" to use it. we should be neighbours! xxx

Anonymous said...

I could almost smell the aroma of this beautifully executed dish. I am in love with the fact that you made the pasta from scratch. Bravo! Thank you for sharing such a stunning recipe. =]

avril said...

I am so impressed with your beautiful homemade pasta!!! Now is that Mount Monadnock in your gorgeous pictures?

Kim said...

Thanks :))) No, that is Mount Ascutney.

Recent Comments

Recent Posts